Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day 2010 Weekend

It was a big weekend here in our home. Most importantly, after a long, hard journey, Joshua is FINALLY done with college! This Saturday was his commencement ceremony from the University of Toledo, in which he earned a degree in Registered Nursing. In the time that he earned his degree, he worked full-time at Coca-Cola. He had class twice a week before work. He was in and out hospitals on his little off-time. He'd spend weekdays literally out of the house for 14 hours. He'd work a clinical Saturday mornings, do homework that evening, research patients on Sunday morning, study that evening, And then he'd have another eight hour shift at another hospital on Monday morning and then go straight to work afterwards until 11:30pm that night. And among that crazy schedule, he managed to bring two babies home from the hospital and was the best daddy that he could be. Whenever he was home and NOT sleeping, he was with his kids. So I am very proud that he passed his classes. Most people don't realize he had to maintain an 80 percent in his classes to pass them! So all A's and B's on his transcripts. So by now you're thinking that my proud announcement of Joshua's graduation should be followed by a classic photo of him standing in his formal commencement gown and cap. Well, he bought the gown, and the tassel twice. But when it came to the morning of the event, he backed out and decided to skip it. I will admit I was a little disappointed. I was looking forward to hearing his name announced as he walked the stage. But the reality of sitting in the stands for hours with two young kids made his decision easier. So no photos.

I did throw him a graduation party as he did not have one for his high school graduation, nor his computer programming degree. I felt he deserved a party. We had family and friends over, and my brother cooked a Mexican themed dinner. Alas, no photos from the party either! When I turned it on, I realized we forgot the SD card....

Today the celebration continued for Mother's Day. I kind of felt like I earned a day off myself. It hasn't always been easy being an almost-single mom these years. So after Josh replaced the brake pads, oil, and rotors on the van in the morning, we went out to see "Walking With Dinosaurs: The Arena Experience". On the way downtown Caleb said, "I want to see a T-Rex. I want to see Dinosaurs nap and eat". I was really excited and it was a GREAT show!!! It was really easy to believe that the dinosaurs were alive and among us. Caleb was a little afraid after the intermission. As the show began for the second, time, he covered his eyes and said "no more dinosaurs mommy, they are scary". But he got over it quick and after the show he was telling Josh and I how cool they were.

Emmie and I waiting for the show to start.

Some dinos Josh snuck during the show. (No flash used)

Finally, we ended the day with dinner at a Chinese restaurant and a late afternoon nap. All four of us fell asleep on our couch together! It was a busy weekend.

No comments: